We Approach Every Case with Knowledge and Confidence
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Child Support
  4.  → Do I get a tax deduction for paying child support?

Do I get a tax deduction for paying child support?

On Behalf of | Nov 28, 2018 | Child Support

If you and your spouse in Pennsylvania are considering a divorce or maybe are already in the midst of your divorce negotiations, you will no doubt have many questions about how the ultimate settlement will affect you financially. In addition to living on a lower income and maybe having to move, you will want to understand the potential tax implications of some of the decisions that may be part of your final agreement.

In addition to your property division agreement, you might find yourself ordered to pay child support to your former spouse. The amount of support may vary based on multiple factors but in addition to making the regular payments, you will also need to pay federal income tax on the money you pay out.

As explained by the Internal Revenue Service, even though you are not keeping the money you pay as child support and your former partner receives it, you will retain the responsibility for all taxes. There is no deduction available to you for making these payments and your children’s other parent does not need to claim the money as income. The parent who is considered the custodial parent is the person who will be able to claim your children as deductions on their tax return each year.

This information is not intended to provide legal advice but is instead meant to give separated or divorced parents in Pennsylvania an overview of the tax implications to both parents when child support payments are required to be made.

RSS Feed