We Approach Every Case with Knowledge and Confidence
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  → Amending a custody agreement

Amending a custody agreement

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2018 | Child Custody

If you are a divorced parent in Pennsylvania or the parent of a child you share with a former partner even if you were never married, you may well have a legally binding child custody agreement in place. This document outlines the specific times and days that your child is with you and when they are with their other parent. Other details such as locations and times of handoffs may also be included in your agreement.

As Very Well Family indicates, there may be situations that warrant a review or amendment of this agreement although courts do not do this without good cause. Generally the creation of any modification is based upon the recognition that something in the original agreement is either not working or has changed substantially so as to warrant a new agreement. If the custodial parent dies, for example, an agreement would clearly no longer be valid and a non-custodial parent may seek a modification. If one parent routinely fails to abide by the terms of the agreement, this too may justify making changes to it.

A request by the child to be with the other parent more as well as a parental relocation may also be common situations that logically require modifications to an existing custody order.

If you would like to learn more about how and when you might be wise to seek a potential change to a child custody agreement, please feel free to visit the parenting time page of our Pennsylvania divorce and family law website.

RSS Feed