Toll Free

We Approach Every Case with Knowledge and Confidence

Do I get a tax deduction for paying child support?

If you and your spouse in Pennsylvania are considering a divorce or maybe are already in the midst of your divorce negotiations, you will no doubt have many questions about how the ultimate settlement will affect you financially. In addition to living on a lower income and maybe having to move, you will want to understand the potential tax implications of some of the decisions that may be part of your final agreement.

In addition to your property division agreement, you might find yourself ordered to pay child support to your former spouse. The amount of support may vary based on multiple factors but in addition to making the regular payments, you will also need to pay federal income tax on the money you pay out.

As explained by the Internal Revenue Service, even though you are not keeping the money you pay as child support and your former partner receives it, you will retain the responsibility for all taxes. There is no deduction available to you for making these payments and your children's other parent does not need to claim the money as income. The parent who is considered the custodial parent is the person who will be able to claim your children as deductions on their tax return each year.

This information is not intended to provide legal advice but is instead meant to give separated or divorced parents in Pennsylvania an overview of the tax implications to both parents when child support payments are required to be made. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Berks County bar Association Badge Avvo Rating Badge Avvo Rating Badge Pennsylvania Bar Association

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Keep In Touch

Palange, Endres & Marks, P.C.
720 Centre Avenue
Reading, PA 19601

Phone 610-674-0712
Toll Free 800-634-1983
Fax 610-685-9963

Map & Directions